Sunday, January 9, 2011

I'm Angry With Abraham

Sorry for the late post, I had a bad headache last night and my Internet provider still had issues and i just couldn't stand struggling with it! Today thankfully it seems better. So here's yesterdays post;

Today I read:
  • Genesis 20:1-22:24
  • Matthew 7:15-29
  • Psalm 9:1-12
  • Proverbs 2:16-22



I’m so frustrated with Abraham, in chapter 20 he pulls the same “Sarah is my sister” act AGAIN!!! Didn’t he learn his lesson in Egypt??? First of all, here you are in communion with GOD as in he’s tight with God having conversations with Him directly! He couldn’t ask God for wisdom on what to do, or for protection? We see as it goes on, God coming in and salvaging the situation, wouldn’t it have been easier if he’d prayed about it before?

Second, why is he treating Sarah like a possession like, “O.k. honey, I’m gonna need you to sleep with this other king so I don’t get killed” I mean wasn’t Sarah by this point, you know his most sacred asset, God promised him an entire nation through Sarah, and is this what marriage is supposed to be? No protection from the husband? My view of Abraham improved a tiny bit when I got to this;

Genesis 20:9-12 Then Abimelech called Abraham and asked, "What have you done to us? What wrong have I done to you to make you bring this disaster on me and my kingdom? No one should ever do what you have done to me. Why did you do it?" Abraham answered, "I thought that there would be no one here who has reverence for God and that they would kill me to get my wife. She really is my sister. She is the daughter of my father, but not of my mother, and I married her.

So, it wasn’t his fault completely, but still…

In better news, God’s promises get fulfilled when Sarah gets her baby. After years of waiting, God came through, despite what was the norm and what people expected, nothing could ever compare to the love of God and His plan for you. I learnt from this, never to underestimate God. Like, I could pray for amazing grades, an amazing job, great relationships, the great relationship, an amazing future hubz and everyone can tell me for example, ‘ah, in reality, that can never happen’ well, it happened for Sarah, so don’t underestimate God.

O.k. Abraham redeemed himself when God asked him to sacrifice Isaac, and he actually did it. He wasn’t all bad after all. That’s an incredibly hard thing to do, and I got to thinking, if I’m willing to sacrifice stuff to get closer to God. Wanting something is one thing, but do I have the chops to sacrifice for it? Today, that’s what I’ll be thinking about.





Image from Mavuno Website


Matthew 7:24  "So then, anyone who hears these words of mine and obeys them is like a wise man who built his house on rock

No comments:

Post a Comment