Sunday, January 9, 2011

Finally, A Bit of Romance :-)

Today I also read, 

  • Genesis 23:1-24:51  
  • Matthew 8:1-17
  • Psalm 9:13-20  
  • Proverbs 3:1-6
 
I love the Isaac/Rebbecca love story. Here’s a girl carrying out her duties, her normal routine of helping out with the family;

Genesis 24:13 Here I am at the well where the young women of the city will be coming to get water.

Then on the other side, here’s a man who puts his trust in God before he even finds this woman who’ll be his master’s son’s wife. He says a little prayer to the effect that he doesn’t want a woman who God has not chosen.

Then Rebbecca comes along, all nice and helpful to this servant man she’s never met i.e. didn’t disregard him or look down on him but goes over and above to help him. And she was welcoming to him and took him home, where his marriage proposal on behalf of Isaac was accepted

Gen 24:50-51 Laban and Bethuel answered, "Since this matter comes from the LORD, it is not for us to make a decision. Here is Rebecca; take her and go. Let her become the wife of your master's son, as the LORD himself has said."

This is my favorite part of the Bible so far. Of course I’m a sucker for romance and this one does not disappoint. There are also a lot of lessons to be drawn from it to single people like me, for example how Rebecca was carrying out her duties not just idly sitting by waiting for someone to come and rescue her!

In Matthew, I was shocked to realize, Peter the disciple had a wife! That’s some of the stuff you never think about. So what was her life like, did she feel alone or proud? Plus, how did she react when she found out Peter had denied Jesus, was she comforting or disappointed or just in shock? Anyway, not the point of this post :-)

My biggest take out though is this;

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart. Never rely on what you think you know. Remember the LORD in everything you do, and he will show you the right way.

If you’ve been following through my blog, you know my biggest issue is in trusting God. I always think that I know better or that He’s taking too long and 'Ana ni chelewesha!' - He’s making me late! So, I’ll take it as a challenge to trust in His plans and in His timing.




Image from Mavuno Website


2 comments:

  1. I've learned from personal experience that, and especially with romance, it is always best to wait on the Lord's timing. He'll bring the right person into your life when the time is right. He did for me!

    -Greg Heil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned from personal experience that, and especially with romance, it is always best to wait on the Lord's timing. He'll bring the right person into your life when the time is right. He did for me!

    -Greg Heil

    ReplyDelete