Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Shadow Proves The Sunshine


O.k., so part of the description "Shadows Proving the Sunshine" is derived from a Switchfoot song, The Shadow Proves the Sunshine from the album Nothing Is Sound. To me, it just means that we need to stop focusing on the problem and focus on the sunshine. To better explain it, last year I went through some major issues, I was depressed and  reckless with my life and I couldn't talk to anyone. My mom even took me to a therapist and long story short...it's the darkest time of my life, I remember calling my mom one night crying because I honestly thought I would die, and I begged her to pray for me. Today I'm here happier than I've ever been. Yeah, God saved me, would I like Him to erase everything that happened, honestly duh! Yeah. But at the same time, I wouldn't want to wipe away the shadows, because then I would have never known that the sunshine was real, get it? I hope you do, because I can’t really explain it any further :-)



Switchfoot is my all-time favorite band from around 2002 and I was their biggest fan even though I'd only heard two of their songs "Dare You to Move" and "Meant to Live" It’s just last year that I got to actually own 4 new Switchfoot albums that I got as a gift from some of my friends and my love for them has grown immensely as evidenced by the thousands of tweets I've sent to them that have sadly never been replied or re-tweeted :-) but I love them. Jon Foreman is and will always be the most talented and prolific song writer ever. He puts your thoughts in words even before you think them, you know????

Anyway enough chatter, the link to their website is always at the bottom of this blog and here and you can buy the albums through there. If you're here in Nairobi it's pretty hard to get a copy as they are almost always sold out but it's good to check at Tune Inn Yaya Center or any Nu Metro store near you. Or if you're extra nice you can borrow mine. Guys, beg, borrow, or the other one whatever you can do, do it. Trust me these are the best musicians you will ever encounter and they'll leave you inspired, for example the lyrics to the song The Shadow Proves the Sunshine

The Shadow Proves The Sunshine by Switchfoot
Sunshine, won't you be my mother
Sunshine, come and help me sing
My heart is darker than these oceans
My heart is frozen underneath


Chorus
We are crooked souls trying to stay up straight,
Dry eyes in the pouring rain
The shadow proves the sunshine
The shadow proves the sunshine
Two scared little runaways
Hold fast to the break of day light were
The shadow proves the sunshine


Oh Lord, why did you forsake me?

Oh Lord, don't be far away, away
Storm clouds gathering beside me
Please Lord, don't look the other way

Yeah, Yeah, shine on me
Yeah, Yeah, shine on me
Yeah, Yeah, shine on me
Yeah, Yeah, shine on me
Shine on me;
Let my shadows prove the sunshine

I wish I could have called this blog "The shadow proves the sunshine" but with the copyright stuff and everything I didn’t want to risk it, but I hope my description does that song and those lyrics and Jon Foreman justice.

Now here is where I know that my blog title and description is inspired. Like I said in my last post, All Together Separate broke up, and here's the kicker, their guitarist Andrew (Drew) Shirley ended up being the guitarist for Switchfoot. I just found this out while I was looking for the links. How much of a coincidence is it that those two bands whose songs have inspired me to be here are related :-)

When I post lyrics on here, I highlight the verses that apply to me, and I couldn't do that with this song. It describes my entire life; it's the cry of my heart. So whether through this blog or through my day to day interactions or trying to make it as a Christian this year, or through whatever my life will amount to, please God, let my shadows prove the sunshine.


I took this picture from my balcony seat when hip-hop artist Da T.R.U.T.H came to Kenya and had a concert for Mad Love Lounge in NPC Valley Road. All the lights in the building were off except for the cross. It might be unintended but that's deep msee!


The SHADOW PROVES THE SUNSHINE LYRICS are the property of Switchfoot and their label. The lyrics are provided for educational purposes only. If you like the song and I know you will, please, please, please buy the Nothing Is Sound CD to support Switchfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment