Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Healthy Taco Recipe

For The Tortillas
I used this recipe from Texas Cooking, with a few adjustments. Instead of 2 cups all purpose flour, I used 11/2 cups of all purpose and 1/2 cup of Amaranth flour if amaranth is used solely in gluten-free baking recipes, baked goods become too dense. So you need to mix it with your normal flour. The nutritional benefits amaranth offers include: iron, low carbs, vitamin E, lysine, magnesium, calcium etc.

I like mine thin and crispy, I tried them thicker and soft and didn't like them as much.

Knead the flour, baking powder, salt, oil together and roll em out then throw them on your griddle.


 Try to make the rounder than mine :-)

 Wait for it to sort of bubble on top...

 I accidentally burn this one when I was getting my camera :-) but you get the idea...

For the Veggie and Avocado Salad 

I used about 1/4 of a small cabbage, 1 tomato, 1 small red onion, 1 small tomato and 1/2 avocado

1. Shred your cabbage/lettuce
2. Dice up your tomatoes and onion as small as you like
3. Mix em together
4. Add juice from one lemon
5. I used 1/2 teaspoon of tomato paste and 1/2 teaspoon of ketchup to give the tomatoes some extra kick and to avoid putting any calorie-full dressing on it
6. Cut your avocado into bite sized/thick chunks
7. Mix em all together.

This was my favorite part of the meal, the tartness of the lemon+red onion mmm


 

 For The Beans

I used 1 onion, 1 tomato, 1 1/2 cups beans, a handful of cabbage, mixed spices, salt and pepper to taste (wish I remembered some chilli)
1. Fry onions in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2. Throw in your precooked beans
3. Add your spices and fry em up
4. Throw in your diced tomatoes and handful of cabbage
5. Add about 1/4 cup of water
6. Simmer on low heat until the water reduces

Assemble










OK, This Part is For My Mom:

Difference Between This and Chapati Dondo, (Kenyan meal of chapati and bean stew)
1. The tortillas aren't full of oil, like chapatis, you only use 3 teaspoons in the whole recipe, even when your frying, you use a dry griddle
2. I guess that's it..., lol,

Whatever you call it, enjoy :-)

xx
Jo


No comments:

Post a Comment