Friday, March 9, 2012

Letter To My Teenage Kids Part 2

Part 2 of the letter….

Anyway, so yeah, I’m happy I formed my own identity and even though it made me sort of an outcast, I wouldn’t change anything. Imagine, now when I’m almost 5 years out of High School, and in those 5 years I’ve done so many things wrong, and ended up just confused and broken hearted, I’m finding myself going back to remember the person I was in High School and trying to live out the way I had planned to live when I was 16. I think I was wiser then than I am now.

What I’m trying to say is. This is the time when you build your life. I know that’s such a cliché parent’s use, but God; if you believe anything from me, believe that. If you decide today, I’m going to do well enough to sell 2nd hand clothes clothes in an exhibition stall, you will. If you say I’m going to do well enough to go to Kenya Polytechnic and spend the rest of my life fixing computers, and earning 15k a month, you will. If you say, I’m going to give up on my own life, find a man (who’s building his own life at this very moment) and marry him, that will probably not happen, but you will die trying. No one can build your life but you. The minute your dreaming your mediocre dreams, someone else in high school just like yours is dreaming huge dreams of a successful happy life and it’s her computer you’ll be fixing, her clothes you’ll be selling, her husband you’ll be eyeing.

Do you know how lucky you are? Your parents love you! A million kids are dying for that life. My dad was awesome, and I miss him, but the relationship I had with him growing up is nothing like your dad is trying to build with you!. My dad died of cancer and if I had gotten a second chance with him, I would be doing everything in my power not to stress him and make him happy and proud. God, I pray that you recognize what a gift you have in your parents. That they’re here, that they love you and that they’re working for you. Recognize the effort they’re making and help them. Money is so hard to come by.

I’ve been in that place of being rude and not feeling connected to my parents but I’ve never been so far gone that I didn’t feel compassion for them when they’re struggling. That’s why I’m worried about you, and that’s why I’m writing this letter for almost 2 hours when it’s midnight and I’m supposed to be sleeping because I have a class tomorrow morning at 9.



***Part 3 Tomorrow***

No comments:

Post a Comment