Thursday, March 15, 2012

Letter To My Teenage Kids Part 7

Part 7 of the Letter
Let me end by this verse that changed my life, and I hope it changes yours;

The background to this story is that Jacob had been looking for a wife and fell in love with Rachel. So he worked for Laban, Rachel’s dad and Laban told him, he can’t keep working for free, let him name a price and he’ll get it. Jacob asked for Rachel and Laban agreed, for 7 years of Jacob’s labor. Jacob romantically worked for 7 years and Laban played a trick on him and gave him Leah instead. In the end Jacob had two wives, beautiful Rachel who he loved. And Leah.

Leah felt hated, like most women do, when we feel like we don’t measure up or, like our boyfriend’s don’t think we’re good enough, so,
Genesis 29:31 When the LORD saw that Leah was unloved; he enabled her to become pregnant while Rachel remained childless. V. 32 So Leah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Reuben, for she said, “The LORD has looked with pity on my oppressed condition. Surely my husband will love me now.”
(This is like when the relationship doesn’t work and we do anything to keep the guy interested; obviously, it didn’t work so…)
 V.33 She became pregnant again and had another son. She said, “Because the LORD heard that I was unloved, he gave me this one too.” So she named him Simeon.
(At this point, it’s like you’ve left the relationship and have found another guy and you start the same process all over again, of doing stunts to keep it working, which it doesn’t, so…)
v. 34 she became pregnant again and had another son. She said, “Now this time my husband will show me affection, because I have given birth to three sons for him.” That is why he was named Levi.
(Hop into another relationship, do the same thing again, thinking this time it will work, and it doesn’t finally…)
V. 35 She became pregnant again and had another son. She said, “This time I will praise the LORD.” That is why she named him Judah. Then she stopped having children.
(Leah’s outlook changes, she stops looking to Judah, (men) to be the source of her joy and looks at God and finally she is content and she praises God.)

This story doesn’t have to be about boys, are you using the same methods of studying over and over and they aren’t working, are you trying different lotions and stuff thinking this one will work, and it doesn’t.


No comments:

Post a Comment