Friday, March 9, 2012

Christian Music Industry Part 1



So, I’ve been thinking about music a lot lately. Like I said, I’m into writing songs now and I’m planning on buying an electric guitar within the next few months God willing. Plus of course, the whole, “God, I’d love to marry a Worship Leader” thing.

I realize as I write this I need to do a series of posts just to explain that first paragraph, and some of the thoughts that run through my head!

There’s so much debate going on about the type of music that’s invaded our Churches and I just thought I’d give my take on it.

Personally, I love rock. Rock music from the likes of Jeremy Camp and Switchfoot introduced me to Christ and got me into Christianity. I love the fact that you can put a bunch of people each gifted in playing a specific instrument and be able to put it all together and come up with something great. As I’ve grown up though, my tastes have evolved somewhat and now I’m more into the content of the lyrics and the Spirit behind it rather than just great-sounding tracks from Christian labels. So now I’m into Jesus Culture, Jeremy Camp, Gateway Worship, Casting Crowns, Tenth Avenue North, and Switchfoot.

I recognize the fact that music is INCREDIBLY spiritual. One of the best examples of this I can give is when I listen to a Switchfoot song…they are a Christian band but their lyrics aren’t explicit but more figurative like a lyric, “the shadow proves the sunshine” just tells you about how we go through struggles, but in overcoming we see the light of God shine through. I mean, when I listen to a Switchfoot song, my soul is stirred up! Too many times I’ve ended up wrecked on the floor crying out to God, “…I fall in love with things that run me through, when all along all I’ve needed is You!” (Another Switchfoot lyric)

Sharp contrast to a Lady Gaga song. I don’t know if it’s the outfits or what I’ve read about her, or just her lyrics, but those songs just feel to me like I’m being bound. It’s a real distinct feeling. A closer example, is I used to love Florence and The Machine, I mean I could sing every word from their first album, Lungs. It didn’t feel quite right but I ignored it, because when I Googled them, there was still some speculation, that they “could be a Christian group” Then their second album came out and the first time I listened to them, it was just like “NO WAY!” something has to be wrong with this group. So again, I Googled (yes, I am a Google addict) and I saw pictures of the video from the single off that album, and it was insane, the guy giving the commentary drew contrasts of her being reborn into Satanism and the imagery in the video was almost exactly the same to the occult texts.

Anyway, my point is that I’m not blind to the fact that there is such a power behind music. It’s a spiritual thing. Music can stir up emotions and light a fire in you. Question everybody needs to answer is “Who are you burning for?”


No comments:

Post a Comment