Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reversing The Tragedy

Romans 7:14-20 (NET)
v.14 For we know that the law is spiritual – but I am unspiritual, sold into slavery to sin. v.15 For I don’t understand what I am doing. For I do not do what I want – instead, I do what I hate. v.16 But if I do what I don’t want, I agree that the law is good. 17 But now it is no longer me doing it, but sin that lives in me. 18 For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh. For I want to do the good, but I cannot do it. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but I do the very evil I do not want! 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer me doing it but sin that lives in me. 

I don't know about you guys, but I have a pretty bad "before" story...you know, "before I started going to Church" In fact, when I heard we had to do a video testimony before getting baptized after Mizizi, I just about freaked out. On the one hand, you're happy because, now you're free, but on the other hand, I'm thinking about how I'm inviting my mom to Mavuno when I get baptized. There are just some things that mama can't know!!!

I truly did make a mess of my life, and so have most of us, that's why today's Switchfoot Song of The Day is, "Mess of Me"



Before I get to the song, let me share a little of my "Mess of Me" story. The past two years have been pretty much crappy. Now, the only people who read this blog are you two, so you know what I'm talking about. Drinking, dad died, more drinking, let's not forget the weed cakes, hehehe, clubbing, boyfriends, more clubbing, nasty stuff, depression, losing 30 kgs, gaining 30 kgs, hahaha, and now I'm here. Sometimes I just look back, and I'm so ashamed of the person I was, and other times I look back and I'm so glad because, I'm free now, and other times to be honest, I look back and want to be there again. Life doesn't magically become perfect now, you know, sometimes, I look at other people and their lives seem so much easier and fun. Then I remember, how even when I was out and life seemed funner and easier, always, always at around 2 a.m. when the buzz died down, I'd start getting sad, wondering why I went out in the first place.

In the song, Jon Foreman talks about, how nobody made us into what we are. We made those decisions alone, and in essence, in our freedoms, we've become our own worst enemy.

 "I am my own affliction...there ain't no drug that they could sell, no there ain't no drug to make me well"

Jon says,"...the song attempts to explore our darkest parts and rise above the gloomy moments to find true life...these darkest parts destroy us if we leave them unchecked."

But, there's a victory in this self-discovery, knowing you can't help yourself, knowing you can't live the rest of your life in this affliction, leads you to the decision,

"I've made a mess of me,
I want to reverse this tragedy
I've made a mess of me
I want to spend the rest of my life alive." 


Luckily, we have a God who's more than willing to "reverse our tragedies" and thankfully, He sends the Holy Spirit to sanctify us, (re-clean us, cause we keep messing up) His mercies are new every morning.




Lyrics and any Switchfoot material belongs to Switchfoot and their management. Thank ya!





No comments:

Post a Comment