Friday, June 14, 2013

Where Before Meets After: Teaching/Speaking

Proverbs 31:26 She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

Do you hunger for the Word of God and long to teach it with authority and excellence? Yes
Is your heart burdened for hurting women? Yes
Is God calling you to a teaching/speaking ministry? Yes

I feel God's leading me to speak in some forum. I got a taste of this understudying Mizizi (beginner Bible study) at my church. One of the things I want to do in regard to that is to equip myself with the tools I need to effectively share a message, create a bio sheet, market my ministry, and polish my presentations. 

For starters, once a week, I want to have five-minute teaching message prepared from a favorite passage in the Bible; and will deliver it to...my YouTube page - dress as though I'm speaking at an event and all. I haven't decided yet if they'll be public or not, we'll see how it goes. After that, I'll spend time brainstorming ideas for expanding that short message into a full-length talk. Hopefully the end result will be a renewed confidence in my calling as well as the tools I need to grow in my speaking. How cool would it be to live a life called by God to represent Him through the spoken word?

So, what I want to focus on is:

Introduction: How well did you open? Did it capture the attention of the audience? 
 
Message: How well did you develop your subject? (Example: with story or knowledge of subject)

Support Material: Your use of support, such as Scripture, quotes, references, etc. Did you read from the Bible, a book, etc? 
 
Style: How well is your use of grammar, volume and ability to speak clearly?

Conclusion: Did you build to a climax, end strong, and get your point across? 
 
Delivery: Did you make eye contact, connect with the audience, and show passion about your subject?

Physical Appearance: Were you dressed professionally and appropriately? Were you sincere, believable, warm, and effective, etc? 


I got the following "Helpful Guidelines for Your Presentations" from the She Speaks website:
1. Make sure your presentation is the correct length
2. Content must be based on a meaningful passage of Scripture since we will evaluate each speaker’s ability to teach the Word of God. 
3. Make sure your message is Biblically based and includes Scripture and application.
4. You may use visual aids if they add to your message. Let your personality come through! Please make sure they don’t distract from your message. 
5. If this is your first presentation, we recommend that you practice with friends and family in order for you to gain confidence and improve your presentation style.
6. Share what is unique to your life instead of something that you have heard or thought was clever. Remember – you are the only one that has “your story!” 
7. Have fun!


So, see you back here next Friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment