Monday, June 17, 2013

How to Know God's Will

The cry of our hearts is, “I just want to do God’s will.”

It's such a privilege to know God and to have this desire and I bet God is proud of us when He hears us say this and surrender ourselves to His plan for our lives. The point where I think He might get frustrated is when we act as if God’s will is some sort of vague, hazy, 'way out there' thing. A vapor that can’t be grasped.

It’s almost as if we want God’s Will, but don’t think we’ll have a shot at actually knowing what it is. Or when we act like surrendering is the biggest sacrifice in the world  we could ever make. We treat surrender as our burden to bear and expect God's calling to be a huge downgrade to our current lives. For instance a successful doctor saying, "Oh God, I know I have to surrender, so here I am giving all my worldly goods away and only remaining with the shirt on my back and I guess you also want me to go live in a 3rd world country because that's just what people do when they've surrendered, right? So......here......I......go. (sob sob)"


Allow me to put something out there that might challenge our thinking, bear with me here, but what if;

God has a real actual plan for us and has pre-ordained our steps?
"Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you: A prophet to the nations— that's what I had in mind for you." Jeremiah 1:5 (The Message)

God wants our lives to matter more than we do and He sees more in us than we see in ourselves?
God told me, "Don't say, 'I'm only a boy.' I'll tell you where to go and you'll go there. I'll tell you what to say and you'll say it. Don't be afraid of a soul. I'll be right there, looking after you." God's Decree. Jeremiah 1:7-8 (The Message)

God wants to enable us and use us to change the world?
God reached out, touched my mouth, and said, "Look! I've just put my words in your mouth—hand-delivered! See what I've done? I've given you a job to do among nations and governments—a red-letter day! Your job is to pull up and tear down, take apart and demolish, And then start over, building and planting." Jeremiah 1:9-10 (The Message)

God's will doesn't always require you to be in a specific career or work in Church, what if you can serve God from right where you are?
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for human beings. Colossians 3:23 (Good News Bible)

So, knowing those truths, how do we wrap our minds around that seemingly mysterious thing called, “God’s will?” I was watching the sermon series "God's Will is Whatever" by Steven Furtick and I got some helpful points:

  • The works of God are the things He's going to do no matter what. 
  • The ways of God are His moral laws and how He wants His children to live. 
  • The bulls eye of the Christian life isn't to necessarily get a personal text message from God telling us to do this or that for every decision but rather to see the center of God's will as walking in His ways because if we're walking in His ways, we're always in His will. If we will be who God has called us to be, we'll know what He's calling us to do in any situation.
So, how does God show us His concealed will?
Word of God
Influence of others
Life situation
Leading of the Spirit 

When through the leading of the Spirit, you exalt God's word, you're able to see the influence of others through it and you see your life situation through it and the will of God is revealed."

I loved this message and it totally made sense to me. I'm realizing more and more that God's will was ingrained in each of us. We are all passionate about different things. I've always been the girl that can watch TBN all day and feel thoroughly entertained and my friends think that's weird. I have a friend who's obsessed with a type of music I find weird. I have friends in career paths that I'd have never imagined being in. God's already made us passionate about different things. It may be I.T, Business, Medicine, Law, Journalism, Teaching, Nursing, Opera music, Rock music, whatever it is that sets your heart on fire.

Bill Johnson said once how someone came and asked him to pray for them to know God's will because they had to pick between 2 choices. Bill said, "That's easy, pick one, then heal the sick, raise the dead, cast out demons and cleanse lepers" At the end of the day, whatever we do should have the effect of bringing heaven to earth.


post signature



No comments:

Post a Comment