Friday, September 6, 2013

You Don't Get To Know The Time






I know its been a while, but there's a valid reason. Since I've been gone, I've been busy moving 9 months worth of stuff all the way from Nairobi to this little city between the mountains

via     
As much as I would love to regale ya'll with stories about my flights and how its all going so far. I just found this passage that went straight to my heart that I had to write about.

Acts 1 (MSG)
When they were together for the last time they asked, “Master, are you going to restore the kingdom to Israel now? Is this the time?”
7-8 He told them, “You don’t get to know the time. Timing is the Father’s business. What you’ll get is the Holy Spirit. And when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of the world.”

So, this is the last time the disciples are with Jesus and I feel like these were the last desperate minutes. Like oh my goodness, the person I've loved for all this time, who's taught me what love is, whose completely rocked my world, is about to leave. Whats life gonna be without Him? Which might be a place a lot of us have been at, those last desperate minutes asking God, "OK, I've trusted you for this money to come in, today's the deadline, when are you doing this? Is this time?" or like for me, "OK, God, I moved across the world, when are these divine connections and friendships going to come?"

Jesus says, you don't get  to know the time. Timing is the Father's business. Which I felt like was both an admonition. like stop messing with stuff you have no idea about. And it was also like His caring nature displayed, like, chill, I've got this, this is on me! Which is why He goes on to say, you don't get to know the time, what you'll get is the Holy Spirit. 

I think He's really cool to say those words instead of "what you'll need". Jesus already knows what we need. We need the Holy Spirit. He said we'll get it. You will get it. And when you do get it, you're going to change the world.

Anyway I thought it was pretty cool to read this in this time when I am desperately asking God, "OK, we've come this far, what next? Is today the day? Whats up God?" And He's like, "Chill, the timing is on me. Wait on getting more of the Holy Spirit. Worship me, not the moment, not the gorgeous city, not the beautiful house, not the friendly people, not the amazing housemates. Wait on me. Wait on my Spirit. That's what you need."

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment