Monday, April 30, 2012

Healthy Monday

WEEK ONE




So, I've really wanted, over the last, few months to get really focused on changing my lifestyle and getting healthier. A few months ago, I started eating better and running and working out, but exams got in the way and my lazy self kicked in so I quit. (Despite the fact that I used to feel amazing when I ran/worked out)

I'm realizing, the older and the happier I get the less my body will just magically shed off pounds. When I finished High School, I weighed 144 pounds (65 kg). I blame that on being in a boarding school, where BFF and I indulged in late night biscuits and crisps every single night! That December Kenya had the Post Election Violence and my weight dropped to 127 pounds (58kg) and I got an ulcer. S.T.R.E.S.S. Then, a year later, I was in a stressful relationship and I dropped again to 119 pounds (54kg).

Now 2 years later, I'm back to what I guess is my usual 127 pounds (58kg). I'm not really looking to lose weight, I pretty much love the way I look, but I'd like not wheezing and sweating buckets when I climb the stairs or getting dizzy when I stand up too fast. I am a couch potato and I hate to sweat, but I need to change that. I'm approaching 25, and according to most people that's when it your body mass changes and you plateau. There's also the fact that high blood pressure, heart problems and cancer runs in my family, so I really need to start taking care of myself.

I've been checking out Pinterest and most of the pins disturbed me. People are glorifying these stick thin bodies and its really easy to get down on yourself when you start comparing your body with some of those pictures. I think people should consider genetics and quality of life before you determine that a certain picture is how you want to look. For instance, yes, I'd like Taylor Swift's arms, but for me that would mean I'll never eat pizza again! So, fuggedabboudit!

Anyway, I want to be active and healthy. I want to get back my perfect, glowy skin that I lost in this french fry grease and vegetable-less life I lead, and, yes, why lie, I want to rock a two-piece bathing suit when I go swimming once this weather changes back!




So, I declare every Monday, Healthy Monday!

  1. I'll put up my motivation for the week
  2. I'll have my healthy diet pick of the week
  3. I'll set out my work-out goals 
  4. I'll confess whether or not I failed or succeeded that week


We'll see how that goes.

This week:
Motivation



Healthy Diet 

  • Cut out extra sugar and drink more water
  • Skim milk (50%) instead of whole milk



Work-Out Goals



Confession
I started today so, PASS!

No comments:

Post a Comment