Saturday, April 19, 2014

Learning How to Flirt Again

We interrupt the Italy updates to talk about my favorite topic...LOVE!

I'm still on my journey in finding love, my love, the love of my life. I've gotta say, it's getting harder the closer it feels. God speaks to me really clearly in this particular area, I think because I'm especially keen to listen :-) and I truly, wholeheartedly believe it's happening very soon, when this handsome young man finally walks into my life.

So I came across this video on YouTube.


It's really interesting. It talks about how over 40% of Americans over 18 are single and how most of us (still 100% Kenyan, just grouping myself in here for a second) when asked are looking for love, trust & companionship, but always assume that other single people are only looking for sex, money or status. So the guy asks the respondents to take a risk and tell someone that they are attracted to, what qualities they are attracted to. It's pretty sweet actually.

I live in that culture though, here at Bethel, where you affirm people and tell them what qualities they have that stand out. However, I must confess, it's a lot harder when it comes to guys I'm actually attracted to. I don't know why. I guess, I'm still in that school of thought where I like him, but I don't want him to know I like him, so I treat him different from how I treat other guys and I stare secretly but ignore him awkwardly, so in the end he stills knows I like him, except that now he thinks I'm a weirdo and ignores me anyway. Yeah...it's crazy.

This video made me think though.

It's one thing if our eyes meet across a crowded hallway and sparks fly...at this point though, I don't even remember what it looks like when eyes meet and how to give that flirtatious gaze without looking desperate. I used to be an expert! OH, MINISTRY SCHOOL WHAT HAST THOU DONE TO ME!!! Kidding, kidding, relax!

I should end this without making it any more embarrassing. Let's summarize...
  1. Take risks
  2. Always affirm people because everybody likes to hear how awesome they are
  3. Read a book on flirting and remind yourself about how it's done

:-)




No comments:

Post a Comment