Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Build 'Em Up: Remembering You

Linking up today with these beautiful talented women, so if you're here from there :) Welcome! Can't wait to meet you.
 I'm not a mom neither am I married, so at first glance, you beautiful married people might think, "Why do you need to remember you, isn't your life all about you?"  Haha, well, yeah...totally a little bit...

Here's the thing though, at this stage of my life, I spend 100% of my time thinking about my future and how I'm going to get to where I need to be so I can get married and have kids and start raising a family. I think about traveling and getting things checked off my bucket list. I spend a considerable amount of time stressing about finances because it is just me. Apart from that I work 8-5 and go to a night class 6-8P, AND this month I sing in 3 services at Church.

So, I'm "on the grind" financially. Mentally, those concerned voices start playing back in my mind, from my relatives at every wedding you attend "So when is it going to be your turn?" The fear that I'm going to be smiling and saying "Soon!" until I'm old and grey.

Physically, there's always that extra 7 kg hanging over my head, (or below my feet as it were)

So, what do I do to prevent myself getting run down? How do I take care of myself and keep my identity?

Well, I'm definitely lucky because it is just me. When I get overwhelmed, I can take a step back and re-evaluate. Some things that give me some "me-time" and renewal.

  1. Keep Things In Perspective: This for me just means prioritizing the things that are important to me. I'm not working right now because I necessarily love my job, but I need to put in effort since this is the ministry assigned to me at this point in my life. I hope to see it grow more into things that I'm passionate about like Church work and/or raising a family, but here's where I've been blessed for now and I need to remember that. (Especially on cold Monday mornings)
  2. Singing: I LOVE to sing. Whether it's every couple months when I'm on stage at Church or alone in my room or driving around. I LOVE it. It makes me feel happy and fresh afterwards. Some music you should definitely check out is Owl City for a fun pick me up or Bethel Music for some renewing, happy worship. While you're at it, kick your shoes off, forget your two left feet and dance!!!
  3. Reading: First up, your Bible. This makes me happy, especially when I get some insight that I hadn't gotten before. When God speaks, it changes everything about the course of my day. It realigns me completely. Another book I'm currently reading is, "Face to Face with God" by Bill Johnson. It's taking me a while to get through because I'm always crying - this book is almost all about the goodness of God.
  4. Pampering: Take a looong bath/shower. Do my nails, deep condition my hair, do a moisturizing face mask. This always works. Especially if you use great smelling products. And, SHOPPING! I don't know about you, but a great pair of earrings makes me happy  :D


*Bonus - Movies: I try to get out and watch a movie once a month or every 2 months. The rest of the world disappears for a couple of hours which is great sometimes. Some of my best memories happened watching a great movie...I can't remember the stressful parts of those days, just the rush I got when the hero saved the day.

So that's just a couple of things that work for me and could probably work for you too, even if your schedule is a little tight.

God Bless,
Jo


6 comments:

  1. i am so glad you shared this! gives me great perspective to hear from your stage of life. my brother went to school with bethel and bill johnson. do you know him? drew mcclure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get married until I was 36. I think all that time of waiting taught me well how to take care of myself in the midst of my other roles. This season will serve you well too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually going to school there (BSSM) in September....I'd really like to know, what was his experience like? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, it's exactly what I'm hoping...I've finally gotten to that place where being in a relationship doesn't define me and I'm learning to be great where I am right now :-) Thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. he went to the atlanta version of it and loved it. feel free to email him at drew@gfc.tv

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks I definitely will, hope you come back and visit my adventures as I get ready to start :-)

    ReplyDelete