Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In The Week of Typhoid...

Guess who's back?!

After a particularly bad dose of food poisoning bordering on the edge of typhoid and malaria (for real) 2 weeks ago, blogging was the last thing on my mind!

Remember Sunday I went to that mad love concert, (pictures coming up later), Monday, Tuesday I was at school paying my fees and that fateful Tuesday I bought one f those veggie salads from John and Jo's in town, and yes I'm writing their name hadharani (in public) because they almost killed me. 

I went to the counter and asked the girl if they sold salad without dressing and she pulls underneath the counter and gives me one. A logical person would've taken that as a warning sign and been a little wary...not me, I bought it, got home, took a couple of bites, it didn't really taste "right" so I threw it away, but it was too late. 

Thursday night comes along and I'm puking my guts out at 2 in the morning, same thing throughout the weekend. By Saturday morning, I'm slowly feeling my spirit slip away (well-deserved drama queen moment) but, anyway, I was really weak, I couldn't keep anything down, I had a fever, I fainted running to the bathroom to puke again at 2 in the morning and my mum finds me on the floor...really, it was scary, then trying to figure out how she was going to get me to the hospital in the middle of the night!

Got to the clinic a couple of hours later and got a bunch of tests done, got drugged up and got home. Sunday till Thursday, I was in bed recuperating and dealing with the nasty side effects of the drugs they put me under, one was an anti-nausea pill whose side effect was causing lethargy and sleepiness, another was an amoebicide the size of my thumb, and the rest were malaria pills, cough medicine, antibiotics, anti-allergy, antacids, I am telling you, I was a walking pharmacy!!!


I lost a bunch of weight when I was sick (yay parasites!) (just kidding, definitely just kidding) but I gained it all back this week, don't blame me, all I can eat is fries, I dont have an appetite for anything else! Hoepfully next week I'll be 100% recovered and I can quit the fries.

The lesson I learnt though is none of this matter, thin, fat, big boned, whatever! As long as you're healthy, nothing else matters. In the middle of my puking, I was just praying for the day I'd be able to eat crunchy, charred, juicy nyama choma (barbecue) and honestly, that's life, deprivation isn't life, restraint and responsibility is one thing, deprivation is another.

Anyway, I'll be back to normal posting soon, I'm better now, and I hope you accept my deepest apologies for not being around.

xo
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment